For sale is an original 1930s EDGEWORTH EXTRA HIGH GRADE PIPE TOBACCO TIN with a hinged lid from the Larus & Brother Company, Richmond, VA. This handsome blue lithographic tin has the remnants of a paper tax stamp. Tin measures approximately 4 1/4 inches by 3 1/4 inches by 3 1/2 inches tall. A great addition to a any tobacciana collection.
In 1877, Charles D. Larus and Herbert C. Larus purchased the Richmond-based Harris Tobacco Company and founded Larus and Brother Company. They manufactured pipe and chewing tobacco. Between 1878 and 1897, the company relied on prison labor at the Virginia State Penitentiary. After that, it operated for more than 75 years on Twenty-first Street (along Tobacco Row) in Richmond. In 1903, the company started selling Edgeworth tobacco products which became the best selling pipe tobacco in its price class. Edgeworth Sliced tobacco was the first pipe tobacco product to be advertised nationally.