For sale is an early 1900s FLETCHER’S CASTORIA MEDICINE BOTTLE. The bottom of the bottle is embossed with the number 2. Bottle is in good condition with a small chip on the bottom base. Small glass bottle measures approximately 5-1/4″ tall, 1-3/4″ wide, and 1″ deep. A nice collectible cork top apothecary bottle.
Chas. H. Fletcher’s Castoria was a very popular brand of laxative compound, sold as a substitute for castor oil. This product started as Dr. S. Pitcher’s Castoria , the formula being patented on May 18, 1868. Several years later the rights to that product and recipe was sold to Charles H. Fletcher, and marketed through the J. B. Rose Company, and later the Centaur Company. Between 1893 and 1897, the bottles sold by Centaur changed from being marked “Dr. S. Pitcher’s”, to “Chas. H. Fletcher’s”.