For sale is an antique early 1900s TALCOLETTE TALCUM VIOLET GLASS JAR made by the H.B. Gilpin Company, Baltimore, MD. This 8-sided glass jar has an outer copper screw-on lid and an inner perforated screw-on lid. An interesting feature with this jar is that on the bottom of the jar is 3/8 cent internal revenue proprietary tax stamp which is dated 1914. Proprietary stamps paid tax duties on goods like alcohol and tobacco. The jar has partial contents of violet fragrance talc powder. The cooper top is embossed with the brand in cursive script: “TALCOLETTE”. The glass jar itself is in excellent condition but the paper label is torn. The bottom of the bottle reads: “H B G CO – TALCOLETTE – BALTIMORE”. The glass jar stands about 4 inches tall and 2 inches diameter. A great advertising or apothecary collectible.
In 1845, Canby & Hatch company was founded in Baltimore to package drugs. In 1850, after Bernard Gilpin joined the firm, the company was renamed to Canby, Gilpin & Company. In 1866, after the withdrawal of William Canby, the company became Gilpin, Langdon & Company. In 1904, Henry Gilpin split from the company to form the Henry B. Gilpin Company to sell the drugs milled by the remaining Gilpin, Langdon & Company. The Henry Gilpin Company ceased operations in 1977.