For sale is an antique early 1900s TALCOLETTE TALCUM VIOLET GLASS JAR made by the H.B. Gilpin Company, Baltimore, MD. This 8-sided glass jar has an outer copper screw-on lid and an inner perforated screw-on lid. The jar has partial contents of violet fragrance talc powder. The cooper top is embossed with the brand in cursive script: “TALCOLETTE”. The paper label and glass jar are in excellent condition. The bottom of the bottle reads: “H B G CO – TALCOLETTE – BALTIMORE”. The glass jar stands about 4 inches tall and 2 inches diameter. A great advertising or apothecary collectible.
In 1845, Canby & Hatch company was founded in Baltimore to package drugs. In 1850, after Bernard Gilpin joined the firm, the company was renamed to Canby, Gilpin & Company. In 1866, after the withdrawal of William Canby, the company became Gilpin, Langdon & Company. In 1904, Henry Gilpin split from the company to form the Henry B. Gilpin Company to sell the drugs milled by the remaining Gilpin, Langdon & Company. The Henry Gilpin Company ceased operations in 1977.