For sale is a very good condition 2-ounce size GRAND UNION ALL SPICE lithographic tin with great graphics from the Grand Union Tea Company, New York, New York. Judging from the style of the tin’s logo, the press lid and the company history, this tin dates to the 193s or 1940s. The tin stands 3 1/4 inches tall. There is crazing and surface cracks on the tin’s graphics but all sides are clearly legible. A nice collectible for your antique tin collection or vintage decor.
Cyrus, Frank, and Charles Jones founded what was to become Grand Union in 1872. They called the business the Jones Brothers Tea Co., starting with one store in Scranton, Pennsylvania, where the shelves were stocked with coffee, tea, spices, baking powder, and flavoring extracts. The brothers expanded the business steadily, branching out with new stores in eastern Pennsylvania, Michigan, and New York. By the time it built its headquarters and warehouse in Brooklyn, New York, the company was known as the Grand Union Tea Co. In 1912 Grand Union was a 200-outlet chain store with operations across the country. In addition to its business establishments, the company supported a small army of 5,000 door-to-door salesmen and delivered goods in horse-drawn wagons. The brothers incorporated the Jones Brothers Tea Co. in 1916. Grand Union used its financial strength through the 1920s to acquire other food businesses. In 1928, the Jones brothers reincorporated under the Grand Union name. During the 1930s Grand Union grew to be one of the country’s most thriving food chains.