For sale is an original 1930s GRANGER POINTER TOBACCO TIN CANISTER & LID made by Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company. This lithographic tin and lid measures about 6 inches tall by 4 3/4 three inches diameter. This tin is in great condition with minor wear. This tin still has some remnants of a paper tax stamp that was present at the time of sale. An cool tin for your tobacciana collection.
John Edmund Liggett’s grandfather, Christopher Foulks, was the owner of a New Jersey snuff mill. During the War of 1812, the mill was razed by British soldiers. In 1833, he moved his tobacco business to St. Louis, Missouri, during the 1840s, John Edmund Liggett joined business. By 1858, Foulks’s company was known as J. E. Liggett and Brother. Around 1869, the company created the first blended cigarettes, using a mixture of Turkish and Virginia tobaccos. After a partnership was formed with George Smith Myers of Missouri, in 1873, the Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company was incorporated. In 1876, Liggett & Myers introduced L&M plug chewing tobacco, during the 1880s it entered the cigarette business and by 1885 the company had become the world’s largest manufacturer of plug chewing tobacco.